top of page
The Sabil of Sultan al-Ashraf Qaytbay (No.412), A.D.1472-74 / 877-879 A.H.
The sabil with two large rectangular windows covered with flat arches with elaborate joggled voissoirs adjoins an arcade of two pointed arches – possibly another hawd (drinking-trough for animals) within the funerary complex, in addition to the one north of the mosque. A more ornate sabil is placed at the corner of the mosque. Here, the stonemasonry is of very high quality typical of Qaytbay’s period, but the decoration is limited to muqarnas capitals of engaged corner columns. The windows of the sabil and the arches of the arcade (now roofless) are walled up. The building was restored by the Comité de Conservation des Monuments de l’Art Arabe in the late 19th century, but is decaying again.
bottom of page