top of page
Tomb of Amir Qurqumas (No.170), A.D.1511 / 917 A.H.
The plain stone-built domed mausoleum originally stood next to the mosque of the Fatimid Caliph al-Hakim beside the Bab al-Futuh gate in the north walls of Cairo. When the Bohra, a sect of Isma’ili Shi’ites who claim direct spiritual descent from the Fatimid Caliphs, restored the mosque of al-Hakim in 1980-81, the tomb of Quiqumas was transferred to its present location within the funerary enclosure of Sultan al-Ashraf Barsbay.
Qurqumas for whom the tomb was built, and of whom nothing but the name is known, was a different person from Amir Kebir Qurqumas whose funerary complex stands about 500 meters further to the north.
bottom of page